Saturday, February 11, 2012

What Dr. Seuss Books Were Really About

A library friend of mine recently shared a picture on Facebook (in which she tagged me) of several Dr. Seuss titles and their "true meanings." Since the picture was shared via a popular social media site and after tracking down its source, I found that it was originally published 11 months ago on a site called BuzzFeed ("the hottest, most social content on the web"), I figured it was a pretty legitimate posting for class, considering all the social media connections! Check it out!

3 comments:

  1. Oh I like these titles!
    It was sort of weird looking at them while thumbnails of Whitney Houston were plastered across the top and down the side panel. That was a clash of purpose and creativities right there, unfolding on the webpage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Rheingold has told us, we must question the author of the source prior to accepting the information presented.

    These "covers" also popped up on my feed often this weekend, but I've seen them over the course of the past few years. Do we know the original author?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to find the original author, but I suppose the reason I appreciated what the covers had to say was because they confirmed my long held suspicion that Dr. Seuss had a lot to say about the state of the world and tended to veil his messages in the stories he wrote (I took a course as an undergrad in Children's Lit and we talked about Dr. Seuss doing this type of thing quite often and the meanings behind a lot of his stories). I figured the covers were interesting food for thought if they had gone viral so much on so many social media sites. Let me know if anyone can figure out the original creator! I'd love to find out who it is.

    ReplyDelete