Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Library 2.0

After reading this week's article I find myself feeling very fortunate to have been between the years 1982 and 2000 (not that I hadn't felt fortunate before [and also, I think those years are a bit of a generalization sometimes--my father was born in 1956 and he's better with the web than I am! Depends on the individual]), but the amount of catching up I have to do on a weekly, monthly, or yearly basis is overwhelming enough without having the innate web ability that comes along with growing up in an always evolving web 1.0 world (until it's evolved into web 2.0!).

Regardless of the generation an individual is born into, I feel as though the most recent developments in the web, wikis, and in particular, blogging, has created a much more welcoming and learning-facilitating environment, particularly for newer users. This is definitely something that libraries can and should take advantage of when helping patrons. If libraries use the web's ever-increasing approach-ability to their advantage in this way, they will eventually come to be seen even more as the gatekeepers and facilitators of the technological world... eventually making them as indispensable as the very web tools that they help patrons learn about!

No comments:

Post a Comment